Pages

Cable Modem Thomson DCM476 (LED Light Display)

I bought a Thomson DCM476 cable modem (HW:2.1 FW:STAC.02.50). And I recently signed up with Electronic Box for cable access. The Rogers technician guy hasnt come yet (wont be til next week) but interestingly when i plug in my modem i notice the LED lights show:

Power = Green (solid)
DS = Blue (solid)
US = Blue (solid)
Online = Blue (solid)
Link = Green (solid) >> when my Ethernet cable is plugged in -- in photo below it wasnt plugged in

My Thomson DCM476 LED display:



I dont officially have internet access when checking through my browser but do these specific colors (and state) for the LED lights indicate that all is good and i am merely waiting for Rogers
to punch in my details on their network (so i am only missing an IP Address)? And that there is no need for a Rogers technician to come out to my home to put on a cable modem splitter or whatever they do?

In other words, do these LED lights currently showing mean that i can have internet access any day now, or do i have to wait for another week before a the field technician physically comes to my property to work his/her magic?

Here is my DCM476 Diagnostic screen display:
Note: My IP Address shows a class-A: 10.x.x.x via ipconfig





And lastly, are my Forward Path and Return Path power and SNR in normal range for good internet speeds or could i do better? Right now the drop line is being fed into a a -3.5db splitter (one output from the splitter goes to my Rogers home phone box which is why i cant feed the main cable line to my modem direct). However, when i do connect the main cable line (drop line) direct to my cable modem the power/snr values improve but just wondering if my current levels are more than adequate. I am getting a Electroline EDA-FT08300 Active Return (8-port = 3dB forward, 0dB return loss) which should help boost things. What are the ideal values for Forward/Return path anyway? I can never figure out which direction the SNR and dB values should be -- i just assume the goal at the very least is to get as close to the values i see when the main cable line is plugged direct to the cable modem.


4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/12/2015

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/12/2015

    Thanks for the info. I've seen those pages too before but i still cant make out what exactly the light colors should look like then when everything is good to go and i am sync'ed and whitelisted. Any ideas? Should all my lights be green then? From the pdf file it seems my lights should be green, blue, blue, blue as i am seeing them now...or am i reading the chart wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2/12/2015

    You aren't reading the chart wrong, your modem is fully operational. You are just blocked out.
    Your modem received a profile file to give you an IP address that doesn't actually work to go on the internet.
    Your modem doesn't know that you aren't actually able to go on the internet.
    When your modem is whitelisted, it will be given a different profile file that will actually give you a good IP address and let you get online, and the lights on the modem will be just as they are now: green blue blue blue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2/12/2015

    I realize its an older post, but I just wanted to add my thanks for the clear explanation of the modem conditions a new subscriber, waiting for "whitelisting" will encounter.

    alkizmo, it seems as if you really know what you're talking about, can you explain the way cable connections work a bit more ?

    I have a cable connection currently, and I have a new connection to be installed soon. I ordered it as a "new" installation, complete with technicians visit instead of a "transfer" in order to guarantee no down time transitioning from my current ISP to the new one.

    My previous experience with cable internet seemed to indicate that the physical connection (ie. the wire from your house to the pole) was virtually inconsequential, and the only REAL important item was the modem, and the fact the modem was provisioned...Is this the case ? Or is there some other aspect I'm unaware of ?

    What I *think* is going to happen when the tech arrives to "install" my "new" cable internet is he'll see I already have a line, connect my modem for my new service to the existing line, and simply verify that it is working, right ? At that time, I can, if I choose, use BOTH my old modem and service AND my new modem and service, on the same physical line that goes from my house to the pole, or am I missing something ??

    As long as my new modem is "whitelisted" I should be able to take it anywhere there's a cable, hook it up and get my internet, right ? I hold these assumptions because in the past, I've had cable internet, moved, and just hooked up my modem at the new address and had internet without any "installation" or anything else...

    ReplyDelete

.
Canada Internet Service Review Discussion Group
InternetCanada@groups.io

Canada 🇨🇦 Internet Service Review
https://groups.io/g/InternetCanada
.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.